• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us
Naijalamp
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Naijalamp
No Result
View All Result
Naijalamp WhatsApp Channel Naijalamp WhatsApp Channel Naijalamp WhatsApp Channel
Home News

Many Feared Dead, Over 500 Homes Destroyed As Truck Carrying Explosives Crashed In Ghana

by Adebayo Paul
5 years ago
in News
Many Feared Dead, Over 500 Homes Destroyed As Truck Carrying Explosives Crashed In Ghana
Share

A big explosion in Ghana’s rural Western Region on Thursday razed hundreds of buildings and killed a yet-to-be ascertained number of residents.

It happened when a truck carrying explosives to a gold mine collided with a motorcycle.

Unverified videos posted on local media showed a large, smouldering blast site in which buildings had been reduced to piles of wood, brick and twisted metal.

In one video, two bodies are seen crumpled on the ground, covered in dust.

A photo shared by a local council member showed a deep crater at the epicentre of the blast, onlookers peering down from its rim.

Seji Saji Amedonu, deputy director general of the National Disaster Management Organisation, said 500 buildings had been destroyed.

A regional emergency official told local media he had seen 10 dead bodies.

“The public has been advised to move out of the area to nearby towns for their safety while recovery efforts are underway,” the police said in a statement.

Nearby towns have been asked to open up public spaces including classrooms and churches to survivors, the police said.

The explosion occurred in Apiate between the towns of Bogoso and Bawdie when a motorcycle went under a truck carrying explosives owned by a company called Maxam.

The truck was heading to the Chirano gold mine, run by Toronto-based Kinross.

A Kinross spokesperson confirmed the incident, saying it occurred 140 kilometres (87 miles) from the mine.

The police initially said the explosives were heading from the Tarkwa gold mine run by Johannesburg-based Gold Fields.

But a spokesman for Gold Fields said the delivery was from an explosives company in the town of Tarkwa, not the Tarkwa mine.

Ghana President Nana Akufo-Addo tweeted he had been informed of the incident and confirmed there had been deaths.

“It is a truly … tragic incident, and I extend, on behalf of Government, deep condolences to the families of the deceased,” he said.

Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.

Unsubscribe
Next Post
What Else Can I Do, I Have Given My Best to Nigeria – President Buhari

President Buhari Reveals What His Successor Stands To Inherit After His Tenure In 2023

No Result
View All Result

Naijalamp Facebook

Naijalamp TwitterX

About Us
Privacy Policy
© 2025 Copyright: Naijalamp. All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Copyright: Naijalamp. All Rights Reserved