• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us
Naijalamp
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Naijalamp
No Result
View All Result
Naijalamp WhatsApp Channel Naijalamp WhatsApp Channel Naijalamp WhatsApp Channel
Home News

Police Advise Osun Govt To Suspend LG Election, Cite Security Threat

by Adebayo Paul
1 year ago
in News
IGP Redeploys 14 AIGs, 26 CPs (See Full List)
Share

The Nigeria Police Force has advised the Osun State government to suspend the local government elections scheduled for Saturday, February 22.

The Police said it received credible intelligence indicating a high likelihood of violence and significant security threats should the planned elections proceed.

A statement signed by the Force Public Relations Officer, Olumuyiwa Adejobi, explained that reports gathered from joint intelligence gathering revealed that various groups, including political elements and other interested parties, are mobilizing to instigate unrest, disrupt public peace and undermine the democratic order.

The statement added that given the imminent threat to security, the NPF strongly advised the Osun State Government to suspend the planned elections forthwith in the interest of public safety and national stability.

The statement further added that the Force has assessed the current security landscape and determined that proceeding with the elections under these volatile conditions could escalate into widespread unrest, endangering lives and property.

The Force, however, restated its preparedness to take decisive action to prevent any breakdown of law and order.

“Beyond the security concerns, it is also imperative to consider the legal clarification by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice on the extant judicial pronouncements concerning Local Government administration in Osun State with regards to the Court of Appeal judgment delivered on the 22nd of February 2025 which stands to have nullified the Federal High Court’s previous decision and reinforces the position that the elections, as presently contemplated, lack a firm legal foundation.

“In light of the combination of heightened security threats and the existing legal complexities, the Nigeria Police Force advises the Osun State Government to reconsider and suspend the planned elections immediately.

“The NPF reiterates its unwavering commitment to maintaining peace, protecting lives and property, and ensuring that Nigeria’s democratic processes are upheld in accordance with the law,” the statement read in part.

The police statement is coming after the Osun State High Court in Ilesa ordered the Osun State Independent Electoral Commission, (OSSIEC), to conduct elections for the vacant positions of chairmen and councillors in the 30 local government areas of the South-West state.

This court gave the order sequel to a suit brought before the court by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), one of the parties participating in the election.

Earlier on Thursday, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Lateef Fagbemi, had asked Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State to put the local government election on hold.

According to the justice minister, the Court of Appeal, Akure division, on February 10, 2025, nullified the judgement of the Federal High Court, Osogbo, delivered on November 25, 2022.

The AGF said the verdict of the appellate court implied that the All Progressives Congress (APC) local council chairmen formerly sacked by the lower court have been restored.
At least six persons have been confirmed dead since Monday, when APC and PDP members clashed in Osun State over the control of local government councils.

Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.

Unsubscribe
Next Post
Porsha Williams’ Estranged Nigerian Husband, Simon Guobadia Detained By ICE For Deportation

Porsha Williams' Estranged Nigerian Husband, Simon Guobadia Detained By ICE For Deportation

No Result
View All Result

Naijalamp Facebook

Naijalamp TwitterX

About Us
Privacy Policy
© 2025 Copyright: Naijalamp. All Rights Reserved

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Funny
  • Sports
  • Music
  • Gists
  • Others
  • Contact Us

© 2025 Copyright: Naijalamp. All Rights Reserved